25 July 2006

on the move

I guess it's that time of year--moving time. AAYOR is finally online in her new locale, complete with scorpions and lots of Targets. terminaldegree is in the midst of renovating and adjusting to small-town life in a place that sounds an awful lot like Hilly Hamlet. Professing Mama and family have arrived in Flat City and seem to be ok (but it can't hurt to visit her blog and give some love). Another Damned Medievalist is ensconced in her new hometown and is already thinking (worrying?) about the upcoming school year. What Now is wading through the existential horror of packing (I hear you, sister!) and contemplating her Exciting New Life in Exciting Big City. And Dr. Virago has left her crazy neighbors behind to move in with her beloved Bullock.

It's summer, which means that it's moving time for academics.

I've moved a lot since college (every year but one in fact), but for the first time in my life, I'm doing the "across-town" move. I've never moved locally before, and so far I'm finding it much less anxiety-producing than the numerous moves to new parts of the country I've endured.

We already have some friends, who are lending us their trucks, dollies, and hands. Hooray! We already know where all the relevant stores are located and what they are likely to carry--not much in Hilly Hamlet, but it's still good to know have the 411 on household goods for the local area. Most importantly, we already know this town and the university. And we like them both well enough to buy a house, thereby committing to at least three years here.

Furthermore, since the move is just across town, we don't have to "pack." We just have to place our stuff in boxes in a safe enough arrangement to ensure that said stuff won't break. (Besides, even with expert packing, stuff ALWAYS breaks. I've moved enough times to be at peace with this fact.)

So, expect light posting ahead, as most of this week and through the weekend will be taken up with moving and preparing for the GRE. Yep, I thought I'd up the stress a little by scheduling the exam for next week. This deserves its own post, but suffice it to say that while I can kick some a** on triangle-related questions, exponents are public enemy #1 right now.

To all on the move, preparing for the move, recovering from the move, or still finishing the move, I wish you comfort and the timely installation of internet access! Pretty soon, it'll be hard to imagine we ever lived anyplace else.

No comments: