04 July 2006

live World Cup blogging--Germany vs. Italy

*Special thanks to 1B* for the idea of live blogging.*

1st half:
0:00
I have to admit it. I just can't root for Germany. And not just 'cause Jans Lehmann looks like my least favorite ex of all time. I mean, it's Germany. I guess I'm just prejudiced, but I can't actively encourage anything German.

20:22
I am not a big fan of Italy, either, but I like their coach, in that cute-old-man way. So far, Italy is not being the melodramatic crybabies they usually are. So I guess I'm rooting for Italy.

24:30
The "Berlin Fan Mile" just scares me.

28:15
I generally love the Puma uniforms, but Italy's light and dark blue design make their unis look pre-sweaty.

31:37
I didn't know that Lehmann got red-carded in the Champion's League final. What's the story with that?

32:24
Italy is feeding a lot of balls to Lehmann, but these aren't even good enough to be called shots.

32:50
You think there's "a little too much overacting" by the Italians? Um, dude, have you been watching this World Cup?!

33:40
Nice field goal attempt.

34:22
8 screws? Ouch.

34:54
A German newspaper put up a Web site that says mean things about Italians? See, that's why I just can't root for the Germans.

39:34
Oh! We have a yellow card. And rightfully so.

40:46
I wish Queer Eye for the Straight Guy would do a "World-Class Footballers" edition. Some of these guys could really use it.

42:50
Germany has never lost a match in Dortmund. I guess that explains why the semifinal for their half of the draw is in Dortmund.

44:03
No team wants to be the favorite, they all want to be underdogs.

45:00 +0:11
Sorry, dude, this first half hasn't been that exciting. I don't care "if the effort's been there."

2nd half:
49:37
Oh, that was close!

51:10
Dude, just because Grosso hurt himself, doesn't mean there was a foul.

52:22
I have a hard time feeling bad for Frings. I mean, really, what kind of idiot do you have to be take a hit at the opposite team after you've beaten them, in front of dozens of cameras?!? That's just Wayne-Rooney dumb.

57:10
I'm sorry but German nationalism is ... complicated. Sad but true, the German flag signifies more than just support for their football team.

62:00
Oh! great save!

64:37
I really hope this game isn't decided by PKs.

69:08
Throughout this tournament, I have thought that Italy's fitness was sub-par. I guess I'm not the only one.

71:27
That was nice of the German player to help the Italian guy with his cramp. I like it when they help each other out.

72:02
German sub. Not a bad idea.

73:49
Italian sub. This guy was born in 1982. I find that totally depressing.

76:16
I love watching corner kicks--so pregnant with possibility.

76:30
Nice save.

79:38
Beautiful bicycle kick/pass. Too bad it didn't lead to a decent shot.

80:51
Random slo-mo shot of Lehmann. What's up with that?

81:26
So what's the call going to be here, huh? Enough with the whistling, ref.
Set piece--I'm nervous.

82:10
Of course he meant to kick a better shot than that, dude.

87:33
I think we're clear on what happens regarding overtime and PKs. Thanks, though.

83:27
Who doesn't love a sub with "flaming red boots"?

84:23
OUCH! Major collision. Nothing like a flying Lehmann elbow to the face.

89:13
Good call. In my opinion, Camoranesi should get a yellow card just for his terrible hair.

90:00 +1:48
I smell overtime.

90:00 +2:57
It's a good thing that today's a holiday. Otherwise, I wouldn't have time to watch all the Wimbledon (DVRing right now) and World Cup coverage.

bonus coverage:
I love this Adidas/Jose + 10 commercial.

Overtime #1:
0:41
Oh my gosh! So close! Darn goalpost.

1:28
Italy is seeming suddenly re-energized.

1:58
Oh my! The crossbar saves Germany.

5:43
Ouch! An Italian defender literally just toppled over after being hit by the German shot.

10:16
That was just rude. And unnecessary. Just give the other team the ball and don't be so juvenile about it.

12:11
I'm sorry, but I don't think you can really compare Germany's run to the 1980 Olympics U.S. Hockey victory. But nice try.

14:24
Huge clap of thunder here. The dog has stopped watching the game and is now hiding under the futon.

15:00 +0:32
I take that back. The dog is watching the game from under the futon.

15:00 +1:02
Oh! The goalpost strikes again.

Overtime #2
16:53
Go go go go go!

17:38
Dude, they're not trying to "float" the ball, they're just too dang tired to "drive" the ball.

18:08
Duh. See my previous comment.

19:48
No matter what happens now, the outcome will be heartbreaking.

20:34
Wow. I'm surprised they're taking Klose out.

21:08
Ohhhhhhh! Great shot! But even better save.

27:27
Oy vey. Italy is 0-3 in WC shootouts.

29:36
A corner kick in the 119th minute of the game. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Oh my gosh. Beautiful!

29:53
Clark says, "Game over, Fraulines." (Yes, we are "watching" the game "together." Thanks, iChat!)

30:00 + 0:40
Bizarre!!!!!!!!!!! Another goal! GAME OVER >>>>>>> Good job, Italy!

post-game commentary:
Well, there will be no repeat teams in the final, which I think is great. Live blogging for 120 minutes is tiring, though!

1 comment:

suneel said...

i am good