03 July 2006

back to school

Sometimes, I can think that life unfolds in the way it does for a reason. Today, I feel like there was a professional reason for me to move to Hilly Hamlet. Not just because I'm partnered with Clark, but because there is a professional opportunity here that is perfect for me.

Today I met with graduate director of Mysterious Discipline. He and I seem to be equally enthused about the prospect of my joining their Ph.D. program. His description of the program, interest in both my research agenda and nonprofit experience, and appreciation of the interrelatedness of theory and research affirmed my suspicions that this program fits really well with my values, interests, and career goals

The timing is not great, but he didn't seem too concerned. He encouraged me to apply to the Ph.D. program pronto because "you never know when we'll get some unexpected funds or a candidate will withdraw from the program." In the meantime, he said, "I want to get you started in the program as soon as possible," so I will be taking at least one class starting in the fall, while continuing in my current job. This gives me and Clark some time to figure out our finances and plan for the income hit that will accompany me returning to graduate school.

I left my first Ph.D. program after completing my Master's degree and endured a failed second search where I received good offers in disciplines that just never felt right. Now, I feel just plain relieved. Relieved that there is a place for me and my work in the academy. If I hadn't moved to Hilly Hamlet, I don't think I would've found this place.

To say that I'm completely excited is an understatement.

1 comment:

New Kid on the Hallway said...

That's excellent - how wonderful! I look forward to hearing more about it.